The best bit about being on leave is that I can go to the allotment during the day pretty much as often as I like. The other good thing is that going frequently means I get a chance to actually get the whole plot under control. So having tackled the right hand side (looking from my shed) of the plot I was also able to have a clear out, re-organise and plant of the left hand side.
Lots of the garden centers have their vegetable plants on offer at the moment – I guess because it’s getting late in the season, but with how the weather has been I think we’re in for a funny year anyway, so I’ve been merrily planting some extra bits and pieces in the hope I’ll be lucky!
Have any of you grown pineapples before? Using the tops?
I saw a pin on Pinterest and it showed you what to do and it looked really simple… so I tried… it didn’t work. Now I’m like a woman possessed and I am desperate to crack this pineapple growing malarky! So tonight I am trying again. And I have done more research.
The first key part was establishing what pineapple root buds look like – I guess these are essential because no root buds = no roots are going to grow. I found this picture from this website – Rick’s Woodshop Creations – which also has some really useful information on how to grow a pineapple.
So I’ve pulled a load of leaves off my pineapple stalk and I found some roots and some root buds:
The pineapple stalk is now in a jar of water on sunniest windowsill in the house (the one where I germinate my chilli seeds… that’s another post) and within 2 weeks I should start to see some roots appearing. Hopefully.
Has anyone else successfully done this?
If so how did you do it? Any help would be gratefully received!!!!!
Thanks 🙂 xx
This is the first time I’ve grown potatoes and they’re going pretty well. Won’t be long until we’re at the top of the bags. I’m topping them up with compost about once a week at the moment.
Oh, and that’s Bug. She helps out sometimes :)🐶
As you’ll have seen from the picture I posted earlier, today I received my South Devon Chilli Farm order (really fast dispatch!).
Being the impatient type I have now planted 6 of the 7 varieties. The only reason I haven’t planted the seventh was because fishing about in the dark for a 7th pot is not so fun when you keep finding slimey things.
I managed to create some more windowsill space by relegating the herb plants to the little greenhouse outside and re-establishing kitchen window sill plant priorities. Which does mean that my Cherry Bomb chillies now have pride of place there instead of being upstairs. Hopefully they won’t mind having slightly shorter amounts of sunshine than they were having.
Tomorrow I will go and find some more pots and plant the Hungarian Hot Wax and a second batch of Jalapeno and Cherry Bomb.
That is enough chilli talk for now!
My new chilli seeds have arrived today!
I’m super excited but now need to do some re-organising to make some space on my windowsills.
Lots of hot ones this time. Hopefully I’ll get a good range of plants.